Saturday, October 24, 2009

From Rawon to Rintewu'uk



Once again, I’m going to talk about food.

When I was a girl, I was so accustomed (as most of us are) to eating fish, chicken, scallop, beef, and pork as daily dishes served on Mom’s dining table. It was not until I was 18 that I stopped consuming red meat due to health disorder.

As I grew up and got married – my husband comes from Manado, North Celebes – I was stunned at finding out that the people of Manado (and other parts of Celebes) also include rabbit, dog, cat, rat, bat, lizard and snake in their menu! Now… I call that as jumping out of my comfort zone and walk to the extreme point! I was obliged to accept their culinary tradition and learn to cook the way they do, although up to this day I refuse to eat rintewu’uk – the Manadonese dish of dog meat (sometimes they replace the dog with a cat or fox).

Recently, I read in National Geographic Magazine how people in Africa hunted apes down to sell them as bush meat in the marketplaces. I saw the picture of a dead ape fully grilled – it so much resembled a roasted child!

(“What are they? Cannibals or something?” I silently – yet fiercely – wondered.)

Oh, alright. These are simply variations and diversifications of culture that happen all over the globe. I believe other people will be as shocked at watching us eat rawon as much as we are petrified at finding out that paniki is actually made of bat meat!

(“What are those Javanese eating? Dirt-tea?” I once heard some tourists commented on rawon.)

A few days ago, one of my friends (she’s a Manadonese, but lives and works in Jakarta) asked me on Facebook, “What are you cooking today, Shinta?”

Ricarodo,” I replied, as thinking about the vegetables, herbs, onions and corn I still had to cook to finally serve the Manadonese dish.

“Have you already learned to cook tinorangsak?” she asked again.

“Really, I have,” said I. “But I only cook that in church on Christmas, Jane.”

Because, thought I to myself. At least I won’t be the one who’ll have to butcher the swine!

Sigh… Talking about compromising!

No comments:

Post a Comment