Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Invalidity: A Blessing in Disguise?


Chacha is the youngest of our canines. Unlike his brother, he’s got coarse black coat, rather minuscule body, and crooked shanks. His brother, Chocho, is born with velvety brown coat. He’s much taller, well-built, handsome and elegant, and strides gracefully like a proud steed. Chocho loves to sunbathe on the sods, while Chacha sleeps by the fish pond.

“You really shouldn’t take naps there, Chacha!” I often warn him. “You might plunge into the pond – and it’s deep!”

But he loves the pond, and he likes watching frogs and butterflies play about near the surface of the water.

One day, as I was busy in the kitchen, I heard a splash and a loud yelp. I immediately ran to the backyard, cursing, “Oh… How many times do I need to warn that bloody black dog not to –“

I was stunned as I came to the pond. There – panicking in the fish pond – was Chocho! I dragged him out of the water, all drenched. “This is OUTRAGEOUS!” I barked at him. “How can it be that YOU fell into the water with all those perfect limbs of yours while your limp brother watches by the pond?”

“Darling, I guess the reason why it was Chocho you found in the pond and not Chacha is because he’s the one who wasn’t born with crooked shanks,” explained my husband.

I sat and contemplated. At first it sounded absurd, but then I realized there was an overwhelming truth in Octavian’s words. Invalidity – lack of vital strength, disproportioned body members, blindness and so forth – sometimes comes as a blessing in disguise for the person who bears it. As some of our body members loses (or degraded of) their functions, other members cover it up by becoming more alert.

Blind people tend to have much sharper hearing than normal individuals. Weak people mostly work more slowly but end up with much more excellent result in details compared to stronger ones. Polio sufferers never stumble on their way because they are always naturally careful in taking every step they make.

In this case, so is Chacha. I suddenly realize that Chacha is always wary as he moves about – different from Chocho who often bumps into things and trees. So, I guess I needn’t worry about leaving him to sleep by the fish pond after all…

No comments:

Post a Comment