Thursday, April 8, 2010

Being a Mother of Two Toddlers = Hard but Awesome Job!


My son, Dharma, is 39-months now. His sister, Sarah, is 23-months. Every day, they always come up with something new: new ideas, new abilities, new perceptions of their surroundings, and new activities.
And, as toddlers, they still haven't learn the point that some activities can be dangerous. Sometimes, it drives me haywire!
On the last day of February, Dharma got his left ear torn and ended up with four sutures in Emergency Room. The cause was simple.
Both my children asked to go to the church's bathroom after Sunday Service. I was too occupied with Sarah that when Dharma asked to enter the bathroom alone I didn't pay too much attention or even feel the slightest worry. Then, all the sudden he slipped and fell on the bathroom floor, his left ear bleeding real bad!
No one would notice the overlooked little nail hanging loose on the door, though I -- the mother -- SHOULD!
So off we went to the Emergency Room, where he got his left ear stitched (I had to hold him down as he was struggling and screaming in pain since the paramedics stitched him up BEFORE the anesthetics worked). It was a very painful experience for him, and for me as a mother.
That was the worst we encountered so far.
Yet, it wasn't the first time my babies were exposed to danger.
There was this instance when Sarah and I were praying before she took her bottle of milk. Dharma climbed onto the bedside-table, and as we came to "Amen," he slipped and dived toward the floor -- head first! I managed to snatch his ankle, his head hanging just a few inches from the marble floor!
And not to mention Sarah accidentally splashed into the water tank in our bathroom (several times) as I was shampooing her brother. She came up gurgling as I lifted her out of the tank, then she laughed out-loud upon noticing my frightened expression.
Oh, children will be children!
It's simply our job to keep them safe at all times. Being a mother of two toddlers? It's one really hard but awesome job! Every day's a new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment