Saturday, April 3, 2010

Celebrating Easter


My friend, Arum, now resides temporarily in Australia. She's completing her master degree in a country where the people and culture differ greatly from the ones she grew up in.
Yesterday, on Good Friday, she posted an Easter greeting on my Facebook Wall.
I replied, "Thanks, Rum. How's Easter in Aussie?"
And she said, "Easter here means a week holiday! I like it! Loads of Easter chocolates and hot buns!"
I laughed. Easter is, of course, not about chocolates, hot buns, eggs and bunnies. It's about commemorating the turning point of human history, when Jesus' sacrifice redeemed us from the bondage of sin and death, opening us the way to salvation and eternity.
Easter is the moment of victory!
But Arum certainly does not fully understand the significance of the feast to Christians. Nevertheless, she enjoys becoming part of the celebration as much as I enjoy finding ketupat and dates on Idul Fitri.
And to all of you who celebrates Easter this morning, I wish you a very Happy Easter. May the power of Christ's resurrection fills our lives and guides us all the way through the passage to eternity. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment