Saturday, August 22, 2009

Animal Welfare in Indonesia


As a pet lover, one of the things that make me envious of developed countries is the way they care about animal welfare. In some parts of the world, people have animal shelters and establish laws to prohibit cruelty to animals. They’ve got adoption network to help uncared-for canines and felines find new homes and caring families. They’ve got animal hospital where dogs can donate their blood for other dogs in surgery.

How fascinating!

It is not so in Indonesia. Lately, I was having difficulty finding homes for five young puppies. Their mother was shot and slaughtered while they were still three-weeks-old. I asked all my friends if there were any who would want to adopt those poor pups. No one opened the door. Eventually, they all died.

I wonder why it’s so hard for people to cherish pets as members of the family. Perhaps the Indonesian’s perception on animal welfare is completely different from other nations. Recently, my husband showed me news on a murder in the newspaper and suddenly it dawned on me. If people’s life doesn’t value much in this country, how much would they value the lives of animals?

It was a very saddening realization indeed. As thinking about it, I wished one day there will be such shelters where volunteers would care for the sick, old and wounded animals in Indonesia.

And what a surprise! A few days ago I found a link on Facebook, called www.adopsianjing.com. This website contains information on a group of volunteers and pet lovers in Jakarta who strive to provide shelters and care for neglected animals. They are establishing a new shelter and medical center in Pejaten Barat. Any pet lover who would like to donate or take part on the effort of saving animals’ life is welcome to contact them. They are also open for sheltering neglected pets, and find them new owners who would take them in.

Alright! Now I know who to dial when there are puppies in need of adoption in my neighborhood! What great and relieving news!

No comments:

Post a Comment