Friday, February 13, 2009

Abortion...???


When my son was 8 months old, his father and I were surprised on finding out there was another baby inside my womb. The conception was pretty much unexpected and our reaction at that moment was a mixture of surprise and confusion. Having two toddlers at once didn’t seem to fit anywhere in our plan.
It was in such a befuddling time that a friend of ours offered the help to abort the baby.
“It’s alright,” she said. “You haven’t passed the first trimester. It hasn’t got a formed body, so it is not human yet. I know a gynecologist who’s willing to do it provided that you’ve got the money.”
I stared at her like someone who’d just got slapped – stunned, bewildered.
Misinterpreting the look on my face, she confidently added, “No worries. It’s risk-free, I assure you. I myself have done it twice!”
I had no idea how she got that view planted in her mind, but if abortion is truly risk-free and morally alright, both religious and government laws would have legalized it, wouldn’t they?
On regard to law in medical practice, I know that abortion is permissible only when there is highly serious threat on the life of the mother, the baby, or both.
And on regard to religion, let’s see…

For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother’s womb.I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place.When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body.All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.(Psalms 139:13-16, NIV)

How erronous it is to think that simply because a 10-week-old fetus hasn’t got a completely formed human shape it is not yet considered as human! The above verses clearly prove otherwise! The option shoved to my face at that moment was murder!
I finally told our acquaintace, “Why, thanks. But no, thanks.”
After that, Octavian and I spent the rest of the pregnancy in positive mood, in bright expectation.
And look what we’ve got nine months afterward:
A cute, cuddlesome, lovely daughter!


No comments:

Post a Comment