Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Music and Pregnancy


Several years ago, as some of us might have heard, there was a discovery in popular science called the “Mozart Effect.” Some experts claimed that listening to classical music (Mozart’s works, in particular) beginning as early as the second trimester of pregnancy might enhance the development of cerebral cells of the fetus, thus producing children with IQ superior to the average. After the publication of the discovery, listening to classical music started to become a booming trend among expectant and nursing mothers. Who wouldn’t want to have children with superior IQ?
However, not so long ago, another theory emerged that refuted and exposed the faulty of Mozart Effect. Now, which theory is true, one may wonder?
No one can be sure.
But in my opinion, music talks to and has more influence on our mood, feelings and character instead of physical aspects. Every kind of music has its own sould, which communicates primarily with our soul instead of brain.
Whenever I listen to Bach or Mozart, I feel calm, peaceful and mentally nourished. Jazz tends to expand my creative thoughts, while Flamenco and Salsa energize me so much that my body wants to dance, dance, dance! It’s amazingly true throughout both pregnancies I’ve undergone.
When I was having Dharma, Octavian kept on playing a mixture of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach and Debussy on the WinAmp for hours and hours on end. I had no problems during prenatal period because the baby was so calm inside me. Even after he was born and has grown into a toddler, we never find any difficulty caring for him, since he’s so calm, thoughtful and orderly-minded.
It isn’t so with my second pregnancy. When I was having Sarah, my husband was so into Jazz that most of the day I listened to Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Martin Taylor and Chick Corea – not to mention Weather Report and Java Jazz. The baby has learned to kick my ribs real hard even before reaching the third trimester. She has now grown into a vigorous, agile baby with a strong free-will and very good sense of humor.
Those months of listening to different kinds of music during two pregnancies really speak a lot!
So, does Mozart Effect really work?
I can’t assure you that. All I can say is that if you are expecting or nursing a baby, it’s best to listen to as much good music as you can. There’s nothing you can lose by doing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment